Latest Video: FilmCrunch 067: Hairspray, Chuck & Larry, Premonition reviewed
Kanye West will be among the first guests on Late Night with Seth Meyers.
The "Bound 2" rapper is part of a star-studded line-up including John Mayer, Lena Dunham and Vice President Joe Biden, who will all appear throughout the week when the chat show debuts on NBC on February 24. Among the other guests will be Kelly Ripa, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Sophia Bush, Trio, Brad Paisley and A Great Big World.
Jay Leno has filmed his last ever episode of The Tonight Show.
The TV host wrapped filming on the chat show last night after over 20 years at its helm last night and fought back tears as he thanked viewers for their loyalty. "Boy this is the hard part... The first year of this show I lost my mom; the second year I lost my dad. Then my brother died and after that I was pretty much out of family. The folks here became my family. When people say to me, 'Hey, why don't you go to ABC, why don't you go to Fox?' - [but] I didn't know anybody over there. These are the only people I know," he said towards the end of the show.
The 63-year-old funny man was joined by a galaxy of stars for his last ever broadcast at the Burbank Studios in California, including Kim Kardashian and Billy Crystal, who led everyone in a comedic rendition of The Sound of Music's So Long, Farewell along with Jack Black, The Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons and chat show legend Oprah Winfrey, who warbled the line "you really raised the bar if you were me you'd buy them all a car." Sheryl Crow came out at the end to finish the song.
Jay Leno says he was "blindsided" when he was asked to leave The Tonight Show.
The 63 -year-old talk show host felt like he had been dumped by a girlfriend during his spat with NBC producers, who announced in 2004 that he would be leaving the show and replaced him with Conan O'Brien four years later.
During an interview with 60 Minutes set to air Sunday, Jay recalled, "I was blindsided ... [NBC executives said] 'You're out...' and I went, 'OK.' You know, you have a girl [who] says, 'I don't want to see you any more.' 'Why?' 'You know, she doesn't want to see you any more, OK?'"
Jay - who was later given his own primetime series The Jay Leno Show, which aired from September 2009 to February 2010 - believes he was unfairly deemed a villain when NBC asked him to resume his role on The Tonight Show to replace Conan, who quit after seven months following poor ratings. "I didn't quite understand that, but I never chose to answer any of those things or make fun of any other people involved, it's not my way," he said.
Jay Leno will be joined by Billy Crystal for his final show.
The 63-year-old talk show host will step down from The Tonight Show on February 6 after almost 22 years and will mark the occasion by interviewing the actor, who was the first guest when he made his debut on the program in May 1992.
Country music superstar Garth Brooks will perform on the final show, while his successor Jimmy Fallon - who takes over on February 17 - will appear on February 3 for a for a "passing of the baton."
Though Jay's future is uncertain when he leaves the show, network NBC are keen to keep his services. "I'm hoping we will enter into a new relationship with him and keep his home on NBC... I would love him to do specials with us and other shows he could host. We're being very respectable of him and not pushing that agenda too hard," NBC entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt said. However, according to The Hollywood Reporter, the presenter is "highly unlikely" to stay with NBC and is currently meeting with other networks.
Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: Action, Comedy, Drama, Late Night, Prime Time, Reality, ABC, BBC, Cable, NBC, Showtime, Saturday Night Live, Announcements, Features, Gossip, News, Ratings, Rumors, Video
+ Not surprisingly, Lindsay Lohan hasn't made things easy for her latest project - a reality show set to air on Oprah Winfrey's OWN network. When asked about the progress of the show, the famed TV mogul said that "there have been bumps" with filming.
+ With the disappointing series finale of Dexter, fans of the crime thriller will be pleased to know that Showtime president David Nevins is - despite some reluctance - hinting at a spin-off starring Michael C. Hall, who portrayed the eponymous anti-hero.
+ AMC released a new trailer for the second half of The Walking Dead that wasn't too much of a teaser, considering that everything in TWD world looked more or less the same as it did in the mid-season finale.
+ Funny lady Melissa McCarthy is set to host Saturday Night Live for the third time during Super Bowl weekend with Imagine Dragons appearing as the musical guest.
Saturday Night Live is finally making changes in the writer's room that have been a long time coming.
While the addition of Sasheer Zamata to the cast was a start, the news seemed more like a publicity stunt to appease the backlash that arose when SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels simply said that casting a black comedienne "will happen" when questioned about it back in November. Now, hiring two female writers, on the other hand, seems more like a step forward towards diversity (both in the non-white and non-male regard).
Read More | The Hollywood Reporter
How will Seth Meyers run things on his Late Night show when he takes over the reigns from Jimmy Fallon?
For one thing, the former Weekend Update anchor hints that he'll be putting his own mark on the talk show: "I like that everyone before me has established this as a place to try things out. It's 12:35 at night. You can do crazy stuff."
Past co-workers and Saturday Night Live co-stars are offering up their speculations, too. "The defining thing with him is his intelligence and curiosity," SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels said.
Former Weekend Update co-anchor Amy Poehler points out that viewers can expect great interviews from Meyers: "He enjoys bringing the best out of people. Maybe it's his improv training, but he really knows how to make other people look good."
Alec Baldwin's talk show has been officially axed.
The 55-year-old actor's late night MSNBC series Up Late has been cancelled after claims the former 30 Rock actor made a homophobic slur against a photographer earlier this month. A spokesperson for Alec and MSNBC issued the following statement to UsMagazine.com: "We are jointly confirming that Up Late will not continue on MSNBC. This is a mutual parting and we wish Alec all the best."
The star reportedly called a paparazzo a "c**ksucking f*g" hours after winning a court case against his stalker in New York, but he later insisted he had called the man a "fat head." An insider told the New York Post's Page Six that executives were not impressed by his behavior and decided to cancel his show on Tuesday. "The decision has been made. He's gone. The [parent company] Comcast guys have decided. Word is spreading through the building," the source said.
The chat show was suspended from the Friday night slot two weeks ago and Alec admitted in a blog post at the time that the future of his talk show was unclear. "Whether the show comes back at all is an issue right now," he wrote.
Alec Baldwin's talk show has been pulled off air for two weeks.
The late night American program Up Late has been removed from the Friday night slot by MSNBC after claims the former 30 Rock actor made a homophobic slur against a photographer.
"I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have - and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support," the 55 year-old star said in a statement.
The star reportedly called the paparazzi photographer a ''f**'' hours after winning a court case against his stalker, but he said he didn't use the homophobic word and instead called the man a "fat head." In a blog post on Huffington Post, the actor said the future of his talk show was unclear. "Whether the show comes back at all is an issue right now," he wrote.
Sinead O'Connor holds Simon Cowell responsible for "murdering music."
The Irish singer appeared in an interview this week to address her ongoing feud with Miley Cyrus, but instead let rip at the music mogul and his flagship show The X Factor, blaming him for the death of rock 'n' roll and the exploitation of young female artists' sexuality . The war of words began earlier this week when Sinead warned Miley in an open letter about the dangers of the music industry and projecting an overly-sexual image, and the 20-year-old singer responded by lashing out on Twitter, mocking bipolar disease sufferer Sinead for her mental health issues.
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.