Nicollette Sheridan has been granted a new trial in her case for wrongful termination from Desperate Housewives.
The actress' initial legal battle against ABC, Touchstone and series creator Marc Cherry - who was excused from the suit mid-trial - ended in a split jury in March 2012, prompting the judge to declare a mistrial.
Nicollette - who alleged her character Edie Britt had been killed off after she complained to network executives that Cherry had hit her during an argument about a scene in 2008 - later had an appeal rejected, with the California Supreme Court ruling that the trial judge should have issued a directed verdict in favour of ABC because she wasn't actually fired but had not had her contract renewed. The court advised her to refile the suit on the basis the California Labor Code had been violated, but Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Stern rejected the petition, stating she should have filed within six months of the incident. However, Judge Stern has now ordered a new trial, though it is unclear why the decision has been made.
I'm not sure which was more abrupt: Frank Darabont's departure from The Walking Dead, or his lawsuit against the show's distributor, AMC.
The three-time Oscar nominee developed the comic book series into the hit series that it is today, but he was quietly fired from the production just shortly into the show's second season. Now Darabont is suing the network - which gave TV fans Mad Men and Breaking Bad - for tens of millions of dollars in profit he believes that they owe him due to a sweetheart deal they made in licensing the show to itself.
In Darabont's lawsuit, which he filed yesterday in New York, the director claims that AMC never told him why they dismissed him from the show (something they never discussed publicly, either).
“AMC’s conduct toward Frank to date has been nothing short of atrocious. Unfortunately, the fans of The Walking Dead have suffered as well by being deprived of his creative talent," Darbont's lead lawyer Dale Kinsella said.
Read More | The Hollywood Reporter
Selma Blair has reportedly threatened Charlie Sheen with a retaliation lawsuit.
The pair were co-stars on Anger Management before the 41-year-old actress was kicked off the show - and it is said she will take legal action if she isn't paid the $1.2 million she believes she is owed. According to reports on TMZ, Selma is demanding the payout to cover the episodes she would have made is she hadn't have been fired fro the show.
It has been said she was kicked off the sitcom after she complained about the Two and a Half Men star, claiming the crew had to wait while he was in his trailer learning lines. However, an insider defended Charlie's actions because - whereas Selma was in less than half of the scenes for each episode - he would have to learn over 44 pages of dialogue. "When you work 12 hours a day and have 3 girlfriends at home, it's hard to memorize all the lines for tomorrow," the insider said.
Folks in the legal department at Lionsgate Entertainment have their hands full with a new lawsuit against Mad Men.
Gita Hall May, who modeled in the 1950s and 1960s, filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles yesterday against the production company for using an image of her photographed by Richard Avedon for Revlon without her permission. In the suit, she claims that she only released consent for use of the photo to Revlon back in the early 1960s, and did not agree “to allow, forty years later, her image to be cropped from the photo, in secret, and inserted as a key element in the title sequence of a cable television series, without her consent and for commercial purposes."
Read More | The Hollywood Reporter
Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: Action, Comedy, Daytime, Drama, Games, Late Night, Prime Time, Sci-Fi/Horror, Cable, CBS, FX, FOX, NBC, Saturday Night Live, Announcements, Features, Gossip, News, Video
+ Some are speculating that Kenan Thompson's upcoming sitcom - which will be produced by his current Saturday Night Live boss Lorne Michaels - might prompt the late night sketch comedy veteran to leave.
+ Casting news for The Walking Dead gets more exciting with each announcement! The Wire alum Chad Coleman has been hired to portray Tyrese in the popular zombie series, which is based on a comic book of the same name.
+ Vulture has compiled a list of American Horror Story: Asylum's horror and sci-fi nods. Did you catch all of them on your own?
+ Liz & Dick director Larry A. Thompson opens up about working with troubled starlet Lindsay Lohan. At one point, he claims that "making a movie with [her] is not for the faint of heart."
Eva Longoria says Teri Hatcher is a "loner."
The 37-year-old beauty has dismissed claims of a feud with her former Desperate Housewives co-star, but admits the actress would purposely distance herself from socializing with the rest of the cast.
"You know, Teri was just a loner. I don't know. Me and Marcia [Cross] and Felicity [Huffman] were a lot closer because we are just girlie girls who like to be in each other's company. Teri didn't. There was no bad blood, I think that was just the way it was," she said.
Eva's former co-star Nicollette Sheridan recently sued the program's creators for unfair dismissal and despite the claims she made against the show, the brunette star insists the legal battle hasn't affected her relationship with the actress. "We were pretty removed from the court case. But Nicollette is great, she is a great girl. She's funny, she's really a broad. She's just a fun girl to hang out with," she said.
It was recently revealed that Teri's name was noticeably left off the notes attached to the farewell presents Eva, Marcia , Felicity and Vanessa Williams gave to the crew when 'Desperate Housewives' came to an end.
Without a new beauty or fashion line coming out and little buzz regarding her wedding (at the moment, any way), Kim Kardashian has managed to find a way to win back the spotlight. This time, it takes suing clothing retailer Old Navy for allegedly utilizing her likeness in an advertisement (seen above).
Aside from a few references from her reality show (i.e. dentist visit, paparazzi), the fact that the actress -- Melissa Molinaro, who is dating Kim's ex Reggie Bush might I add -- sings and dances in the ad ought to negate any notions of imitating the
talentless celebrity socialite. Maybe Old Navy just wanted someone who would actually walk her own dog and could do more than warm-up in a pair of shoes.
In all honesty, I feel like The Black-Eyed Peas have a better chance at suing for their likeness!
Read More | USA Today
Many South Park fans remember the 2008 “Canada on Strike” episode, which celebrated/parodied some of the Internet’s biggest YouTube sensations. The “Chocolate Rain” guy, dramatic gopher and "Star Wars kid" were all portrayed in the episode … but none of them are the one who’s suing the show.
South Park, cable network Comedy Central and parent company Viacom are being collectively sued for copyright infringement of the YouTube hit “What What (in the Butt).” The video, which has scored over 33 million views, was re-made on Park, with Butters playing the role of YouTube singer Samwell. The video above shows a comparison of the two videos, highlighting the similarities.
Read More | CNN
-Late-night host David Letterman will make his first appearance on The View. David, who had quintuple heart bypass surgery in 2000, will welcome back Barbara Walters from her surgery on September 7.
-Speaking of Barbara, Walters and exec. producer Bill Geddie are currently producing a “unisex” version of her daytime talk show. Bryant Gumbel is reportedly in the running to help co-host the male-friendly spinoff.
-The original Kermit the Frog will be moving to a new home. Jim Henson’s wife, Jane, donated the first green guy - born 1955 - to the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. Nine other puppets will join Kermit in the collection.
-Cake Boss co-star Remy Gonzalez was arrested earlier this month for the alleged sexual assault of a minor. Remy is currently being held on $300,000 bail in New Jersey for charges including aggravated sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, and endangering the welfare of a child.
Rejected American Idol contestant Ian Benardo doesn’t have a prayer of getting $300 million from the show, though he recently filed a lawsuit asking for this staggering sum. We’re pretty sure Benardo has filed suit more for publicity than for money…so we’re going to give it to him.
If you don’t know who Ian Benardo is, it’s probably because you didn’t watch the American Idol finale spectacular which aired in May. Benardo turned an otherwise average stage show into a circus when he ripped the microphone out of the hands of comedian Dane Cook and proceeded to scream out his agenda to the masses.
Read More | TMZ
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.