-Celebs are lining up to talk with Oprah before she leaves daytime. Next Tuesday, Sarah Ferguson (a.k.a. the Duchess of York) will try to explain why she tried to make money off ex-husband Prince Andrew.
-Speaking of daytime, James Franco will soon be returning there. He’ll reprise his role as Franco on General Hospital beginning June 30.
-Soap lovers might not like hearing this news: the SOAPnet channel will be gone in 2012. In other words, get your weekend fixes of 90210 now.
-Could we be seeing more drama play out on The Real Housewives of Orange County? Tamra Barney’s son, Ryan Vieth, was recently arrested for an outstanding warrant. Bail was set at $15,000.
-On an inspiring note, a list of channels are planning to Stand Up To Cancer again this year. The commercial-free fundraising event will be simulcast on September 10.
Even though I really like the single (and loved the cause for which it was written), there was one musician who really stuck out during Friday night’s Stand Up 2 Cancer event: Miley Cyrus.
The song - which is available for purchase on iTunes - was performed live this weekend from New York’s Radio City Music Hall. And while “Just Stand Up” earned a nice reception, I couldn’t help but notice how Miley Cyrus’ immature voice stuck out like a grating sore thumb. Did she really deserve to be up on the same stage as Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey and Carrie Underwood? Ehh, I think not.
Despite being a star-studded, newsworthy event, the Stand Up 2 Cancer special wound up falling behind an episode of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?. Thanks to split coverage between ABC, NBC and CBS, FOX was easily Friday night’s winner in both categories.
- The debut of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? (2.0/7 in 18-49) scored 7.6 million.
- Friday Night Smackdown (4.7 million, 1.4/5) grew by 1 million.
- ABC‘s coverage of the cancer special (0.9/3) pulled in 3.8 million.
- The Stand Up 2 Cancer event raked in 3.3 million (0.8/3) for NBC.
- CBS’ fundraising hour (0.7/3) registered 3.2 million.
Read More | Programming Insider
Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: Award Shows, Comedy, Daytime, Food & Home, Games, Kids, Music, Prime Time, Reality, Specials, Talk Shows, ABC, Bravo, Cable, CBS, FX, FOX, HBO, MTV, NBC, The CW, TNT-HD, America's Next Top Model, Entourage, Prison Break
(You can view TV Envy’s Fall Television Programming Schedule here.)
Labor Day Marathons: The Closer (TNT), Beverly Hills, 90210 (SOAPnet), Scrubs (TV Land), Dirty Jobs (Discovery), My Wife and Kids (ABC Family), Star Trek: The Next Generation (Sci Fi), House of Payne (TBS), CSI (Spike TV), Anthony Bourdain (Travel), That ‘70s Show (FX)
- Gossip Girl (CW, 8pm): Season 2 premiere. “Summer in the Hamptons winds down as Serena and Nate carry on a cover-up scheme to make others think they’re dating.” A few choice pics sent to Gossip Girl should do the trick.
- Prison Break (FOX, 8pm): Season 4 premiere. “Michael is in LA looking to even the score with Gretchen for Sara’s death.” I think Gretchen should really apologize for all of last season.
- One Tree Hill (CW, 9pm): Season 6 premiere. “Lucas’ chosen lady meets him at the airport, while Dan’s accident proves life-threatening.” Sorry. So not caring who Chad Michael Murray picks these days.
- Raising the Bar (TNT, 10pm): Series premiere. “Idealistic public defender Jerry Kellerman (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) fights for a man he’s sure is innocent, but holding a court is a judge who loathes Kellerman.” Gosselaar’s new hair has been generating some passionate opinions.
Although the nightly competition between Charles Gibson and Brian Williams is quite tight, the two journalists - along with Katie Couric - combined forces today to promote a joint project. In a rare event, the trio hit all three morning shows to deliver the special news. This meant a return to old stomping grounds for both Couric (Today) and Gibson (Good Morning America).
Together they announced that ABC, NBC and CBS will be simultaneously devoting one hour to the same cause: the fight against cancer. Stand Up 2 Cancer, a commercial-free telethon airing September 5th, will aim to raise funds for research.
Read More | Hollywood Reporter
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.