Alec Baldwin's talk show has been officially axed.
The 55-year-old actor's late night MSNBC series Up Late has been cancelled after claims the former 30 Rock actor made a homophobic slur against a photographer earlier this month. A spokesperson for Alec and MSNBC issued the following statement to UsMagazine.com: "We are jointly confirming that Up Late will not continue on MSNBC. This is a mutual parting and we wish Alec all the best."
The star reportedly called a paparazzo a "c**ksucking f*g" hours after winning a court case against his stalker in New York, but he later insisted he had called the man a "fat head." An insider told the New York Post's Page Six that executives were not impressed by his behavior and decided to cancel his show on Tuesday. "The decision has been made. He's gone. The [parent company] Comcast guys have decided. Word is spreading through the building," the source said.
The chat show was suspended from the Friday night slot two weeks ago and Alec admitted in a blog post at the time that the future of his talk show was unclear. "Whether the show comes back at all is an issue right now," he wrote.
Emma Thompson would have "loved" to have become the first female time lord in Doctor Who.
The Oscar-winning actress denied speculation that she was offered the role given to The Thick of It actor Peter Capaldi, but said she would have jumped at the chance to join the BBC series.
"I would have said 'yes,' I'd have loved to have played Doctor Who. Maybe women need their own kind of new time traveling person?" she said, appearing alongside former Doctors Matt Smith and David Tennant on The Graham Norton Show.
On the upcoming 50th anniversary episode "The Day of the Doctor," the tenth Doctor David and eleventh Matt remain tight-lipped about the show's plot and only revealed Peter will "join at Christmas."
Alec Baldwin's talk show has been pulled off air for two weeks.
The late night American program Up Late has been removed from the Friday night slot by MSNBC after claims the former 30 Rock actor made a homophobic slur against a photographer.
"I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have - and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support," the 55 year-old star said in a statement.
The star reportedly called the paparazzi photographer a ''f**'' hours after winning a court case against his stalker, but he said he didn't use the homophobic word and instead called the man a "fat head." In a blog post on Huffington Post, the actor said the future of his talk show was unclear. "Whether the show comes back at all is an issue right now," he wrote.
Sinead O'Connor holds Simon Cowell responsible for "murdering music."
The Irish singer appeared in an interview this week to address her ongoing feud with Miley Cyrus, but instead let rip at the music mogul and his flagship show The X Factor, blaming him for the death of rock 'n' roll and the exploitation of young female artists' sexuality . The war of words began earlier this week when Sinead warned Miley in an open letter about the dangers of the music industry and projecting an overly-sexual image, and the 20-year-old singer responded by lashing out on Twitter, mocking bipolar disease sufferer Sinead for her mental health issues.
Simon Cowell dropped Britney Spears from The X Factor because she wasn't outspoken enough.
The music mogul who is judging this year's singing contest alongside Demi Lovato, Kelly Rowland - who was a judge on the UK X Factor in 2011 - and Paulina Rubio, fired Britney as she felt "uncomfortable" in the role.
Simon says the "Ooh La La" singer was unable to give honest, "negative" feedback to the pop hopefuls so he had to replace her. Speaking on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, he said, "I kind of booked someone who couldn't talk, which is a bit of a problem when you want someone to judge! She wasn't comfortable being negative, she didn't like it when the contestants spoke back to her, so she was just uncomfortable. I liked her. So we decided to change it this year and I thought I'll work with three girls because I like working with girls."
Alec Baldwin is to host a chat show.
The 30 Rock actor has been confirmed to present a prime-time weekly talk show, entitled Up Late With Alec Baldwin, at 10pm on MSNBC in October in which he will give his take on current affairs and culture and interview guests on such subjects.
"I've been talking with Alec for a while and can't wait to bring his personality and eclectic interests to MSNBC. He's got such passion for ideas and what's going on in the world - he's going to be a great addition to our line-up," MSNBC president Phil Griffin said in a statement.
Alec has been getting plenty of interview practice on his podcast Here's the Thing for radio station WNYC, which has seen him put the questions to several stars including Lena Dunham and Chris Rock, and he believes it has been the perfect preparation for his TV show. "After two seasons of my WNYC podcast, I've developed a fondness for hosting a show that involved talking with smart, talented and engaging people in every imaginable field. I'm grateful to MSNBC for helping me bring a similar show to television," he said.
Jenny McCarthy is set to join The View as a permanent presenter.
The bubbly blonde has frequently appeared on the daytime talk show and has impressed producers so much they now want her to take over as Joy Behar's permanent replacement when she leaves in August. "She is in talks right now. The cast and crew get a kick out of Jenny, she's a good fit," a source said.
While Jenny was initially thought to be unable to take on the job full time due to her commitments to The Jenny McCarthy Show on VH1, its low ratings mean she will likely be happy to make the move. "Her show isn't quite working out so she's open to it," the insider added.
Jenny has already been confirmed to be appearing as a guest host after Joy's contract on the ABC series runs out in August. Speaking previously about her part-time role, the former Playboy model said, "I will be helping them while they're looking ... but maybe sometime in the future I'll be there."
Russell Brand's TV show has been cancelled. Brand X, the comedian's late night talk show on FX, will not be renewed for a third series although the actor will work on other projects for the channel, including a "scripted live-action comedy."
"I don't think we're going to bring Brand X back. I think we're going to do another show with Russell that's going to be a scripted, live-action comedy. So the relationship is going to continue," said Joh Landgraf, who was promoted to CEO of FX Networks and FX Productions this week.
Russell's new show for the channel is expected to be similar to Curb Your Enthusiasm and will be loosely based on his own life.
Totally Biased With W. Kamau Bell is set to fill the gap left by Brand X and according to Mr. Landgraf, host Kamau and executive producer Chris Rock were "ready to convert to a daily show" and "we saw more potential and more upside [in Totally Biased] in the audience reaction."
Dina Lohan was allegedly paid $50,000 to try to resolve her issues with her ex-husband Michael Lohan on TV.
The divorced couple, whose relationship has soured again after they briefly called a truce and had dinner together on Wednesday in Hollywood, reportedly got their daughter Lindsay's permission to appear together on a new TV show called The Test on Thursday, a conflict-resolution talk show due to air this autumn which uses lie detector and DNA tests to solve problems, and were well paid to take part.
A source told gossip website TMZ.com that the 26-year-old actress's mother received $50,000 to film the show. Michael was also allegedly paid to take part but his fee hasn't been disclosed. The insider said that Dina used the money to settle her debts from the family's Long Island home, which has been on the brink of foreclosure for months.
Dina and Michael's brief reconciliation ended during filming for the show on Thursday.
Barbara Walters will be retiring. The chat show veteran has decided to end her phenomenal TV career in 2014.
"I am very happy with my decision and look forward to a wonderful and special year ahead both on The View and with ABC News. I created The View and am delighted it will last beyond my leaving it. I do not want to appear on another program or climb another mountain. I want instead to sit on a sunny field and admire the very gifted women - and, OK, some men, too - who will be taking my place," she said in a statement.
The 83-year-old star - who will continue to serve as executive producer of The View - began her career in 1961 and has spent five decades at the forefront of television. She co-hosted NBC's morning news program, The Today Show, for 15 years before moving over to ABC to co-host the Evening News. Ben Sherwood, ABC News President, said, "There is only one Barbara Walters. We look forward to making her final year on television as remarkable, path-breaking and news-making as Barbara herself. We look forward to a year befitting her brilliant career filled with exclusive interviews, great adventures and indelible memories."
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.