Latest Video: FilmCrunch 067: Hairspray, Chuck & Larry, Premonition reviewed
CNN has canceled Piers Morgan Live.
The news network have confirmed the nightly show - which was previously known as Piers Morgan Tonight - is coming to an end after over three years, though the exact date of the final program is yet to be determined. The British presenter told the New York Times newspaper he and CNN president Jeff Zucker had discussed the future of the program last week and decided to cancel it following "painful" ratings, which he believes is due to a failure to "connect" with American people.
The Michael J. Fox Show has been cancelled after just 15 episodes.
The Back to the Future actor's self-titled sitcom has lost its prime time Thursday night slot in favor of Hollywood Game Night - a game show presented by Jane Lynch - after network NBC decided to pull the plug because of poor ratings.
Entertainment Weekly confirmed the news on Wednesday night and with only 15 out the 22 episodes of the show having been aired so far, it's still unclear whether the remaining installments will be broadcast at all.
The reports come after NBC chairman Robert Greenblatt described The Michael J. Fox Show as a "uphill battle" at the Television Critics Association press tour last month, admitting he wasn't happy with its dismal ratings.
Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: Action, Comedy, Drama, Late Night, Prime Time, Reality, ABC, BBC, Cable, NBC, Showtime, Saturday Night Live, Announcements, Features, Gossip, News, Ratings, Rumors, Video
+ Not surprisingly, Lindsay Lohan hasn't made things easy for her latest project - a reality show set to air on Oprah Winfrey's OWN network. When asked about the progress of the show, the famed TV mogul said that "there have been bumps" with filming.
+ With the disappointing series finale of Dexter, fans of the crime thriller will be pleased to know that Showtime president David Nevins is - despite some reluctance - hinting at a spin-off starring Michael C. Hall, who portrayed the eponymous anti-hero.
+ AMC released a new trailer for the second half of The Walking Dead that wasn't too much of a teaser, considering that everything in TWD world looked more or less the same as it did in the mid-season finale.
+ Funny lady Melissa McCarthy is set to host Saturday Night Live for the third time during Super Bowl weekend with Imagine Dragons appearing as the musical guest.
Simon Cowell could be set to leave The X Factor.
The 54-year-old media mogul is a judge on the singing contest - which is his brainchild - however he could be planning to leave the show since it is pulling in fewer viewers than in previous years - with the live show on Tuesday night, attracting only 4.8 million viewers. The drop in numbers could force bosses to lower the budget on the series, meaning Simon will walk away and back onto the judging panel of the UK version of the talent show.
"People have talked as if it is all over for The X Factor, but that's not the case at all. It is true that ratings are down but it still does well with younger viewers if it was to come back next year it would have to have a lower budget. Simon leaving the show would allow a cheaper panel to be introduced - and give him the time to be reunited with the British show," an insider said.
The X Factor is currently in its third season with the winner awarded a $1 million recording contract with Simon's label Syco, however, in the previous two series' it was worth $5 million. Simon is currently on the judging panel alongside Demi Lovato, Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio, and he is mentoring the groups category.
American Idol producers secretly plotted to replace Mariah Carey with Jennifer Lopez. Bosses were keen to see the return of "On the Floor" singer Jennifer midway through the show's current season but, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter, once they were threatened with legal action by Mariah's team they backed off.
The insiders added a search has already begun to replace Mariah, Nicki Minaj and possibly even the entire judge's panel - which also includes Randy Jackson and Keith Urban - for the next season.
Mariah was a huge signing for the show, but has proved less popular with viewers on the show than Jennifer, who appeared in the previous two seasons, was. Mariah's comments and criticism have been criticized as passive and disengaged, and she has been overshadowed by Nicki on the show.
However, another source says research has shown Nicki's performance on the show has not been as popular as expected, adding, "The core viewer is a Midwestern, Southern, older woman who is threatened by Nicki's aggressiveness."
Britney Spears' contract with The X Factor may not be renewed.
The 30-year-old popstar - who sits on the judging panel alongside Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato and LA Reid on the current series of the FOX reality show - is reportedly under threat because producers are eager to dramatically reduce the show's budget next season and feel they cannot justify paying her $15 million again in light of the show's disappointing ratings.
"Producers were hoping to pull in between 15-20 million viewers but the show hasn't reached those expectations and in a recent episode that clashed with the World Series only 5.7 million watched. Those numbers add up to cost cutting and Britney will be expendable. So, considering Fox has already renewed The X Factor for a third season, producers will be looking to spend less on the production of the show, including the judges' salaries. Britney, who was signed on a one-year deal, is the first person who will be expected to have her salary chopped. She is on a $15 million contract, which is absurd given that there's been no huge surge in the ratings," a source said.
Seth MacFarlane "never expected" Family Guy to go on for as long as it has.
The creator of the adult animated show - which was cancelled after three seasons in 2002, only to be brought back three years later due to popular demand - is shocked the series has gone on to be a huge success, and he relies on the ratings to dictate if he should continue with it.
"I never expected it to go on for so long. I ponder the end of Family Guy on a regular basis. It's important to know when a show has overstayed its welcome before your audience does. All you can do is look at the ratings. The ratings are still great, so there are still people watching it."
Seth has just made the jump from small screen to big screen with his feature-length directorial debut Ted, in which Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis star opposite a foul-mouthed teddy bear, and he insists cinema work is easier than cartoons. The 38-year-old star - who voices the character Ted and also wrote and produced the comedy movie - told Shortlist magazine, "If anything, I found I had more control. Rather than relying on 300 people to bring something to life over the course of nine months, you're relying on 300 people to bring something to life over the course of nine minutes."
Ryan O'Neal has lashed out at Oprah Winfrey.
The 70-year-old actor and his Oscar winning daughter Tatum starred in reality TV show Ryan and Tatum: The O'Neals on Oprah's OWN network, and Ryan has blamed the media mogul for low ratings. When he was asked if he was worried that the reality show would tarnish his reputation, he told gossip website TMZ, "No because nobody saw it ... I don't know if Oprah saw it."
It must be pretty good to be Zooey Deschanel right now.
After just two episodes of her new comedy, New Girl, Fox has picked the series up for a full season of 24 episodes. Judging from its high ratings (it even beat its lead-in, Glee!), it's not quite a surprise.
"We love the charming Zooey Deschanel and the entire cast, we're knocked out with the work that [creator] Liz Meriwether and the whole staff is doing and we are really psyched about the coming episodes in the pipeline. It's great that audiences have responded so positively so far and we're confident that even more people will embrace the show—and more comedy on Fox—this season," said Kevin Reilly, president of Entertainment at Fox.
New Girl -- which also stars Max Greenfield and Hannah Simone -- airs Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. on Fox.
Read More | E! Online
Paul Reiser was originally scheduled to appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno to promote his new NBC series, The Paul Reiser Show. But the network didn’t cancel his appearance after they cancelled his show. The series was nixed after just two episodes, and Reiser didn’t bother to hide his disenchantment with the network… even on one of their own shows.
“They don’t traditionally make bad decisions,” he said of the network, tongue-in-cheek, to the (current) Tonight Show host. Leno has had his own troubles with NBC, but managed to get re-hired after he was fired from his TV show. We're not sure the same will happen to Reiser.
Read More | Huffington Post
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.